In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Upper Grand FHT Cardiac Rehab Program is offering a home-based program. Cardiac Rehab participants can access support through in-person, telephone and video contact with our healthcare team. Clients who meet eligibility criteria may complete a functional capacity exercise test (stress test) at Trailside Medical Centre. We also have a wide range of resources for heart health available online. The program is offered at no-cost to those who have Ontario health insurance plan (OHIP).
Please note that you will be contacted by our program once we have reviewed your referral and confirmed you are an appropriate candidate. We are not able to answer individual inquiries at this time.
About Cardiac Rehab
Cardiac rehabilitation is an evidence-based program to help individuals with a cardiovascular condition achieve a heart healthy lifestyle through exercise and risk factor education. The program is run by the Upper Grand Family Health Team (FHT) located in Centre Wellington.
- Next to your hospital visit, cardiac rehab is the most important part of your recovery.
- It’s about gathering knowledge, accessing support and making healthy choices to live your best life.
- You’ll learn what’s best for you now, what kind of exercise is safe and enjoyable for you, and how to develop healthy eating and lifestyle habits you can stick with.
Research shows that cardiac rehab helps to:
- Decrease your risk of dying early.
- Improve your energy level and how you feel in mind and body.
- Reduce your chances of being re-admitted to the hospital.
If your condition changes at any point during the program and requires urgent attention, please go to your nearest hospital or call your family doctor.
What You Can Expect From Our Home Program
- A stress test with our local Internal Medicine Specialist, Dr. Nguyen.
- Personalized exercise plan from our Registered Kinesiologist and in-person, virtual or telephone follow-up support for up to 3 months.
- In-person, virtual or telephone nutrition advice and counselling with our Registered Dietitians.
- In-person, virtual or telephone consult with our Chronic Disease Management Nurse Specialists for specific medical concerns and 6 and 12 month follow-ups.
- Consultations with other allied health providers as needed including a pharmacist, social worker and occupational therapist.
- Recorded education sessions covering a variety of heart health topics.
- Support to work towards your personal goals for heart health, including activity and diet.
- A range of resources available for you on our website anytime.
Once you have been approved to begin cardiac rehab by our Internal Medicine Specialist, our Kinesiologist will call you to schedule an appointment and tell you more about what you can expect from the program and will work with you to develop your personal exercise plan.
- The Upper Grand FHT Cardiac Rehab Program is offering virtual visits. During a virtual visit you will speak with your health care team using a telephone, smartphone or your computer.
- Upper Grand FHT is using virtual visits more often to reduce how many people come to the clinic. This is to protect our patients, staff and the community from the spread of COVID-19.
- Upper Grand FHT uses the Ontario Telemedicine Network (OTN) for virtual visits. OTN is a secure video conferencing tool that is funded and fully supported by the Government of Ontario to enable people to receive care at home. OTN is secure and private (encrypted). Personal health information discussed during the virtual visit is not stored or kept in any way by OTN. For more information, please visit https://otn.ca/.
About Upper Grand Family Health Team
Please take advantage of the wide range of resources that will help you in your recovery and developing heart healthy habits for life.
Behaviour Change Resources
- Caffeine, Alcohol, Supplements Education
- Fats Education
- Fibre Education
- Eating & Drinking for Exercise Education
- Nutrition Labels Education
- Salt Education
- Sugar Education
- Cooking Tips Education
General Health Resources
Click Here to access other Cardiac Rehab Online Resources. These resources can be downloaded and printed.