NEW – Local Cardiac Rehabilitation Program
As of January, 2021 The Upper Grand Family Health Team is now offering a local Cardiac Rehab program for the residents of Centre Wellington, Arthur and surrounding areas. Our program is a satellite of the St. Mary’s General Hospital Cardiac Rehabilitation Program in Waterloo and is run in partnership with our local Internist, Dr. Nguyen, who completes stress tests for program entry, ensuring that it is safe for clients to participate in the exercise portion of the program.
Cardiac Rehab is an evidence –based program that reduces the risk of being readmitted to hospital, increases life-expectancy following a cardiac event or procedure and helps individuals achieve a heart healthy lifestyle through exercise and risk factor education.
Patients will be directly referred to the program following a cardiac event or procedure at St Mary’s General Hospital. In response to the COVID pandemic, the Cardiac Rehab Program is offered through a home-based program consisting of the following:
- Personalized exercise plan and program support from our Registered Kinesiologist and in-person, virtual or telephone follow-up support for up to 3 months
- In-person, virtual or telephone consult with our Chronic Disease Management Nurse Specialists at 6 and 12 month follow-up following completion of the program
- Consultations with other FHT allied health providers as needed including our Registered Dietitian, Pharmacist, Social Worker or Occupational Therapist
- Recorded education sessions covering a variety of heart health topics
- Support to work towards personal goals for heart health, including activity and diet.
For more information about our Cardiac Rehab Program and resources, please visit our website https://uppergrandfht.org/cardiac-rehab/